Welcome

Welcome to my mind, this is kinda what is is like in there. Enjoy if you would like, but even I don't always. So don't feel obligated or anything.


(please excuse all grammar mistakes, I dislike editing my thoughts.)

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Just a sec

I'm sitting in my room. I finished writing the first draft of an essay by 9:30 =me super awesome, right? Wrong! Because guess what? I have another Journal to write. this one for governance. I am supposed to be comparing the government structure of the village I am living in to the situation going down in Detroit. I didn't have to chose Detroit but I did because it said manager in the text and my village has a manager working in cahoots with a council.
In Detroit, from this one article, what I can tell is that there is a mayor who was in "power" when the debt bubble popped and everything went to shit in 2008. Either that or he was in power soon after. Anyway, during his reign, so to speak, the city went to shit and everything fell apart. In his effort to pay some of the bills he told the people that the city couldn't really afford to pay their pensions and help out with healthcare and all the stuff that a city is supposed to do. So instead of talking with the unions and the people who would be directly affected he just declared that their pensions were getting cut. This made people mad. Meanwhile Mr. Mayor has hired Mr. Emergency Manager and the two of them are planning on filing for bankruptcy with something called a chapter 9 filing. Which I haven't looked into and don't understand. But anyway, because they were doing that is during their "negotiations" with the people which weren't really negotiations but more like proclamations, they were already planning on filing for bankruptcy which proves that they hadn't tried all the options before filing.
Now there is this huge court case going down of whether or not Detroit could actually be considered bankrupt because even though they are out of cash the mayor and emergency planner didn't go about it in a nice fashion and the people of Detroit and the law, so far, is saying that they aren't eligible.
Now, I have to compare all that nonsense to my village that can't even hang on to a manager, they have had four in the last ten years. I think the reason is because the council has been treating all their managers more like really knowledgeable servants and less like an equal or adviser. The purpose of the manager is to help the council enact their goals in a responsible and legal way.
The council has to acknowledge that the manager does have a huge knowledge base on how to deal with it. What the council needs to realize is that they are the common variable, not the managers. The managers keep changing, the village stays it's usual same and dynamic self. My conclusion is that the village needs to get off its high-horse and deal with harsh realities, like not everything can be ideal. Which I think they know intellectually but have a hard time coming to terms with in reality.
My issue is combining these two nonsense issues into one cohesive 300 word document that a teacher would feel like they didn't waste two minutes reading. I also feel like I have to be careful because the people round here are very involved in the village and since this is going toward a grade I don't want to go and insult any one.
Ok, I need to go back to organizing my thoughts in a more academic manner. Have a nice night!

No comments:

Post a Comment