Welcome

Welcome to my mind, this is kinda what is is like in there. Enjoy if you would like, but even I don't always. So don't feel obligated or anything.


(please excuse all grammar mistakes, I dislike editing my thoughts.)

Friday, June 20, 2014

What have I accomplished?

So, in my quest to go on Semester at Sea I'm working on all sorts of scholarships, and they all want me to divulge how awesome I am. What academic awards and achievements do I have, what Leadership examples do I have.

These are all fine questions and if I were going to give someone I didn't know money I would want to know these things too. Not only do I have to prove I am worthy, I have to prove I am more worthy than the 500+ other kids who want to be able to do this as well. This is tricky for me. I consider myself an able leader, and I have done somethings to refine my leadership abilities, but seriously? They say I can use two sheets of paper? Do they want me to explain all of my experience? They said list! Not a list of explanations, just a list.

And then there are the experiences that just sort of happen. Like when I was hiking up a mountain in five feet of snow and the teacher who was supposed to walk with the slow kids in the back was walking in the front. Gradually I noticed that these two girls were getting farther and farther behind, one was a girl from China who spoke hardly any English and the only snow and mountain she had ever experienced was man-made and in a building. The other girl was perfectly capable of hiking up the mountain, she did motorcross, still does, but for whatever reason she wasn't.

I stayed back and I got them up the mountain, we were part of the first group to leave and the last to make it to the top, no one waited for us. Half-way up the mountain the motor-cross girl started feeling faint and almost fell down. I  told them the little tank engine that could story. I got them up the freaking mountain. They even deigned to have their picture taken with me. But is that something that I can put as leadership experience? Not without a really long explanation.

There was another time that only one girl in the class wasn't invited to a halloween party (this was in 7th grade) and so I told the host that I wouldn't come if she wasn't invited. She got invited. The host asked when she was going to leave the entire time, but it was better than if she wasn't invited. (She was also having a party that everyone was invited to and no one was going to...) But again, that was in 7th grade, and it's not like I was hired to be a mediator of any kind.

Ok, this blog post has turned into a big personal brag fest, but Still. There was also the time my rooom mate had an Anxiety Attack, while she was in her boyfriend's room. No one knew what to do so they came into my room and woke me up. I took care of her and I managed all the people who wanted to stand around and watch. I also called the Resident Life Managers and talked to the paramedics. I'd say that was leadership. Should I include that explanation?

Academic Honors, that one is tough because my school didn't award prizes and things for being awesome. I did take all the highest level courses and what not, but there were no Honor's classes, or IB, or AP, or whatever other acronyms there are for more notable high school classes.
I mean, it's not like I slacked off.

I studied all the time

Heck, I over credited my first two quarters of college, and got all A's and a B+

No comments:

Post a Comment